- [in progress] PhD in Music, CUNY Graduate Center, New York, NY
2018 Master of Arts, CUNY Graduate Center, New York, NY
- 2013 Bachelor of Music, summa cum laude, SUNY Purchase, Purchase, NY
- Principal Composition Teachers: Suzanne Farrin, Jason Eckardt, Du Yun, Jeff Nichols, & Huang Ruo
university teaching experience:Hunter College, Adjunct Assistant Professor | 2019-present
- Music Technology & Performance- Masters students study performance practice of live electronic music, compose pieces, improvise, and produce a concert.
- Introduction to Music Technology- Undergraduate students learn Sibelius notation software.
Brooklyn College, Adjunct Instructor | 2014-present [formerly Graduate Teaching Fellow]
Music I & II- In a two-semester sequence, Masters and Undergraduate students study fixed
media and live electroacoustic composition, techniques of DAWs and MaxMSP,
and produce a concert.
to Music Technology- Masters and Undergraduate students study a broad overview of topics related
to music technology through hands-on projects.
Its Language, History, & Culture– Undergraduate students are
introduced to fundamental concepts of music and listening through a broad
survey of western classical music, jazz and blues, and non-western
Theory 1: Eighteenth Century Studies- Undergraduate students learn concepts of four-voice counterpoint, harmony,
and simple forms.
of Music -
Undergraduate students learn music notation, scales, chords, and other basic
concepts of music theory.
LaGuardia Community College, Mellon Humanities Alliance Teaching Fellow | 2017-2020
Play Production- A team of professors and artists guide a group of students in writing,
casting, staging, light & sound designing, and performing an original play.
I guided students in sound-design and composed an original score.
- Critical Thinking- Students explore the process of thinking critically through real world examples and a semester-long archival research project proposing a solution to a problem local to NYC.
other teaching experience:The Walden School, Creative Musicians Retreat, Electronic Music Faculty | 2021
- Beat Based Electronic Music - Participants record sounds and make beats. Demonstrations & discussions focus on rhythm, sound design, and popular music production techniques.
- Multimedia Composition - Participants film as a group and compose audio-visual pieces with DaVinci Resolve. Demonstrations & discussions focus on techniques for transforming ordinary footage into dense, layered textures.
- Private Composition Lessons
Private Teaching Studio | 2020 - present
- I teach private lessons in MaxMSP and electronic music composition.
event organization:Algorithmic Sound Series | Organizer & Host | 2020-present
- A series of free virtual masterclasses with musicians and sound artists who engage with creative coding. The series is sponsored by Creative GC: Art and Science Connect at the CUNY Graduate Center. Audiences as many as 350 have tuned in from around the world. See this link for more information & videos of all masterclasses.
audio engineering & video production:
I’ve worked on a variety of projects recording & mixing audio, as well as editing video. I have a small portable recording setup that sounds excellent on voice, acoustic instruments, and chamber music. I also enjoy working on pop and experimental music. Since 2020, I’ve worked with many performers and ensembles to create content for online concerts and livestreams. I’ve worked with organizations & musicians including David Fulmer, João Luiz, Elyse Kakacek, Coco Klockner, the Hunter College Music Department, the UN Chamber Music Society, and the Composers Conference. Please see this link for examples of my work.
max for live devices:
I create, release, and support Max for Live software plugins for algorithmic composition in Ableton Live. My devices have been downloaded more than 3000 times.
Feel - A MIDI note delay for microtiming, swing, and other rhythmic manipulations.
Spike - A device that generates random grace note gestures based on a customizable interval set.
Inch by Inch - A generative step sequencer that creates gradually evolving patterns with probabilities for changing individual notes and other parameters.
Cartographer - A device that maps a MIDI controller to a table of randomized values. It can be used to improvise unexpected melodies and patterns.
festivals & conferences:2020 | Unheard-of//Collaborative Composition Initiative Online
2017 | West Fork New Music Festival, Fairmont, WV
2017 | Valencia International Performance Academy & Festival (VIPA), Valencia, Spain
2017 | New West Electronic Arts & Music Organization (NWEAMO), San Diego, CA
2017 | US Navy Band International Saxophone Symposium, Fairfax, VA
2016 | New West Electronic Arts & Music Organization (NWEAMO), Tokyo, Japan
2016 | International Computer Music Conference (ICMC), Utrecht, Netherlands
2016 | Montréal Contemporary Music Lab (LMCML), Montréal, Québec
2012 | The Cortona Sessions for New Music, Cortona, Italy
fellowships & grants:2020 | Creative GC: Art and Science Connect
2020 | Finalist in the Lake George Composition Competition
2017-20 | CUNY Humanities Alliance Graduate Teaching Fellow, supported by the Andrew W. Mellon foundation
2018 | Finalist for World Music Days, nominated by New Music Miami
2017 | VIPA Festival Music Technology Fellowship
2013-17 | CUNY Graduate Center Teaching Fellowship
2016 | International Computer Music Association Student Travel Grant